So you follow set guidelines for home security tips and installed all the necessary technologies like a wireless alarm system to prevent the bad guy from breaking in. But Murphy’s Law dropkicked you and all failed for whatever reason and the bad guy is in your home while you are away on business or at work.
Here’s a do it yourself cheap way to have a home security camera system to spook the jerk and possibly get him caught. This is easier than it sounds. But take your time and have fun.
If you are like me, you have old computers in your closest collecting dust that are too slow to actually surf the Net and get things done efficiently. Now is a good time to put them to good and fun use.
1. Clean up the operating system and make it functional. Connect it to the Net and leave it on.
2. Install cheap $10 webcams that have audio and the cam will pan the area, tilt and zoom.
3. Dig out your old computer speakers and connect them to the PC and set them to LOUD.
4. Download and install free Skype. Skype is voice over the internet that also supports webcams. With Skype you can call anyone on Skype and talk to them via a webcam. Make sure your home and work PC has Skype and a webcam or your road ready laptop has Sykpe and a webcam.
5. You need to set up 2 different accounts on Skype, one for home and one for work. Each has a different user name and set them to auto login when the PC starts.
6. Download and set up the dusty home PC or laptop with free “LogMeIn.com” remote access technology software. This software allows you to remotely access the home PC from anywhere. When you log into your home PC from the road you can fully control that home PC like you are sitting in front of it.
7. From work, Skype into the Home PC and call it from your work PC then “answer” the call while remotely logged in.
8. Now you have full control over the web camera on the home PC and you can pan, tilt zoom and your voice now broadcasts over the home PC speakers.
9. Download Korn, Disturbed, MegaDeath, Marilyn Manson, Metallica or my personal favorite, the ultimate creep tune: “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.” Or the Police’s “Every Breath You Take… I’ll be Watching You.” Record a dog barking on a loop. If you’re a movie buff dig out some sound clips from horror movies with lots of blood curdling screams that play incessantly on a loop. Now we’re cooking with gas!
10. When you Skype in and see a burglar call the police. Then start talking to him like you’re in the next room and tell him that the cops are coming to get his sorry self. Then blast the music at level 10 to freak him out. If you really want to mess with him play anything from Yoko Ono. Loud!