Thanksgiving is coming quickly and it is one of the most traveled times of the year. Burglars know this. There are unfortunately many unsavory characters that are anticipating you are heading to a Thanksgiving Day football game or going to grandmas house and some of you might be helping the homeless at a soup kitchen.
To ensure an uninterrupted feasting of the fowl and a safe return home, I suggest you consider the following:
Here are a few tips to help protect the safety of your home while you are gone:
- If you are traveling by car make sure it’s running properly, check belts and tires and oil. Have a good spare and carry an emergency kit.
- If you are heading overnight pack your car in your garage or late at night under the cover of darkness.
- Use timers on indoor and outdoor lights.
- Let a trusted neighbor and the police know you are traveling.
- Unplug garage door openers.
- Have a neighbor park their car in your driveway.
- If grass is still growing where you live and if you’re gone for a bit have a landscaper mow your lawn.
- Don’t share your travel plans on social media or on a voicemail outgoing message.
- Lock everything of significant value in a safe.
- Invest in a home security camera system and home security alarm system.