15 Break-ins at Boston Area Churches – Nothing is Sacred
Last year around the holidays I wrote about burglars preying on churches.
This year is no different. The Boston Globe reports “You know things are bad when they start knocking off churches. And judging by the number of churches knocked off recently, things are very bad indeed.”
“I’m seeing levels of desperation out there I haven’t seen for a long while,’’ said the churches Priest. “Like most priests and ministers, he sees a lot of people who live on the margins. They come to the three churches he oversees for food and laundry money and help with the rent. They come because they don’t belong anywhere else.
And sometimes they come to steal. There have been 15 break-ins at Boston area churches in the last few months. And that’s just the Catholic ones.”
It doesn’t matter where, when or who, a burglar will go where there is easy access and easy money, or goods to be resold.
Often, it is those on the inside that have knowledge of how things work and where they are. So, it is important to beef up security to protect from the inside-out and from the outside-in.
In some cases burglars enter through unlocked doors; in others, broken windows and they will even bust doors off of their frames.
Theft happens. Protect against it.
- Lock up. Even if it’s an “open access” environment
- Have someone always watching the door
- Install visible motion sensitive security cameras everywhere recorded by a DVR
- Install hidden motion sensitive security cameras everywhere recorded by a DVR
- Install “Monitored by Video Surveillance” signs everywhere
- Lock doors and windows always
- Install glass break prevention film
- Install a monitored alarm system
9. Be proactive with the help of wireless home security systems and new interactive smart home solutions that go beyond traditional security to a new level of control, accessibility and connection with the property.
- Get email and text security alerts as well as video clips to your computer or Smartphone
- View your home through cameras and watch secure real-time video or stored video clips of events from monitored areas
- Access lights and appliances or set schedules to automate them
Robert Siciliano personal security expert to Home Security Source discussing Home Security and Identity Theft on TBS Movie and a Makeover.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!