Home Invasion Was “The Ultimate House of Horrors”
In a 2007 home invasion Steven Hayes and Joshua Komisarjevsky, the 2 men found guilty of a home invasion in Connecticut, brutally attacked and killed a mother and her daughters. The father was left for dead in the basement. Their crime began when they saw the mother (who was eventually murdered) in a parking lot and followed her home.
The home was invaded at 3am. The father was immediately beaten and tied up in the basement. He was held captive for a time but he escaped alive. The kids were tied to their beds and the mother was forced to go to the bank and withdraw money.
While at the bank the mother told a bank representative what was happening. The bank called the police who sent cruisers to the scene. It ended badly.
Hayes was sentenced to death and the prosecution has just rested in its case against Komisarjevsky. The AP reports the prosecutor said in his closing arguments “It was shockingly brutal. It was evil. It was vicious,” adding the men created a “hellish inferno.” The prosecutor continued by describing the murderous plan that involved “greed, sex, death and destruction.” He showed them the masks, bat and BB gun Komisarjevsky used.”
Here are 6 tips to help keep you safe and help prevent a home invasion:
1. Never talk to strangers via an open or screen door. Always talk to them through a locked door.
2. NEVER let children open the doors. Always require and adult to do it.
3. Install a home burglar alarm and keep it on 24/7/365. With a home alarm system on, when someone knocks on the door, a conscious decision has to be made to turn off the alarm. Most people will keep it on.
4. Not all home invaders knock, some break in without warning. Just another reason to have that alarm on.
5. Install a 24-hour camera surveillance system. Cameras are a great deterrent. Have them pointed to every door and access point
6. Install strong locks and solid core doors. Back up your door with door reinforcement technologies that make it difficult to kick in a door.
Robert Siciliano personal and home security specialist toHome Security Source discussing Home Invasions on Montel Williams. Disclosures
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!