It’s that time of year again. Yes, I know it seems like we just got past the spooks from Halloween, but the holidays are just around the corner. While we are busy buying gifts and making travel arrangements, cybercriminals are making their lists, and checking them twice, as they prepare to unleash a host of scams designed to take advantage of the seasonal surge in online shopping and sharing. Since it only takes one scam to spoil your holiday season, it’s a good idea to get familiar with our list of the 12 Scams of the Holidays, and learn how to avoid them.
To help you stay protected as you search high and low both on and offline for the perfect presents for your loved ones, McAfee has released its annual 12 Scams of Holidays list full of digital dangers to be on alert for as you surf the web for holiday deals and steals and how to be safe in the coming months and beyond.
And to make sure that we all have a safe and merry holiday, McAfee is hosting the Season of Sharing Sweepstakes*. By sharing the #12scams content with your friends and family, you’ll not only be helping others to stay safe online this holiday season, but you’ll also earn a chance to win a Dell™ XPS™ 12 Convertible Ultrabook or Dell Venue™ 8 Pro Tablet along with McAfee LiveSafe™ to make sure all your devices are protected! And while you’re at it, check out the deals on the Dell tablets as well!
HOW TO ENTER
- Go to 12scams.com
- Sign into the page using your Facebook or Twitter account
- Share the #12scams content to earn entries into the sweepstakes drawing
- Sit tight for winners to be announced on December 17.
WHAT YOU COULD WIN
- Grand Prize: 1 winner will receive a Dell™ XPS™ 12 Convertible Ultrabook™ and a 1-year subscription to McAfee LiveSafe™
- 1st Place: 1 winner will receive a Dell Venue™ 8 Pro Tablet and a 1-year subscription to McAfee LiveSafe
- 2nd Places: Ten (10) winners will receive a 1-year subscription to McAfee LiveSafe
Have fun and stay safe this holiday!
*Sweepstakes open to US residents only. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Sweepstakes is from November 18 – December 13, 2013. See www.12scams.com for full terms and conditions.
Robert Siciliano is an Online Security Expert to McAfee. He is the author of 99 Things You Wish You Knew Before Your Mobile was Hacked! Disclosures.