https://safr.me/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/9D-300x250.jpg 250 300 Robert Siciliano https://safr.me/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Safrme-logo.png Robert Siciliano2015-06-17 05:00:382018-04-27 09:42:14Top 12 Scams Happening NOW
- Scammer “accidentally” overpays you for an item you sold online; you cash the crook’s phony check and wire back the difference. You’re out cold.
- You order something online and it’s not delivered or version arrives that’s nothing like in the advertisement.
- You prequalify for a credit line or loan that seems too good to be true. It requires upfront fees and sensitive information—and you end up never hearing from them again.
- You “win” a prize or gift card and, to receive it, must give out sensitive information and/or pay a fee. This scam occurs also via phone, and sometimes the scammer uses well-known brand names.
- Calls from people claiming to be IRS reps warning you that you owe money—or that you’re owed money—and that you must pay up immediately or go to jail, or pay a fee to get your refund.
- Crooks harp on the vulnerability of confused people seeking health care coverage every fall during open enrollments.
- You purchase the puppy in the online photo, pay fees for shots, crating, etc., and the puppy never arrives.
- “Human Resources” e-mails that make you think they’re from your employer; you provide critical information that allows the scammer to hijack your direct deposit setup.
- The fraudster’s “service” helps recover unclaimed property or funds, but there’s no recovery—even after you’ve paid a fee or given out sensitive information.
- An online job offer looks great: no experience required, start immediately, full-time—after you pay a training fee and/or give up your SSN online.
- A medical plan that seems too good to be true—because it’s not coverage; it’s just a discount plan.
- For a fee, the thief claims to be able to help you get out of debt or recover from recent identity theft or some kind of fraud, playing on your vulnerable state.
Seriously, none of these scams would happen to you if you just paid attention. Please, beware, be careful and be smart.